Are you a current high school student? Do you love to create and make art? Are you interested in receiving a scholarship to take FREE art classes? Submit your work to be featured in MCC Art Gallery's 2022 Spectrum Art Exhibit!
About the Exhibition:
Spectrum is meant for high school students who are interested in exhibiting their work for a chance to win a scholarship to the MCC Art Department! The scholarships can cover the cost of a full year of tuition, a half year of tuition, or the cost of one or two classes. After a work is awarded one of these prizes, the recipient must enroll at MCC for the requisite credit hours, maintain a GPA of 2.5 and declare a major in art to be awarded their funding. All of the details can be found on our submittable website. Please contact Grant Vetter at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Get Permission to Apply if you are Under 18 years of Age:
If you're under 18 years of age, remember to seek permission from your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) before submitting your work. You will be asked to have a parent or legal guardian complete an agreement and release form for the promotion and reproduction of the work online, which includes MCC's website, social media channels, etc. If you are over 18, this does not apply to you.
- Spectrum is open to all high-school student in Arizona, but not to residents outside of the state.
- Students should submit their best work in the visual arts from the 2021-22 school year.
- The work can be in any medium, two-dimensional or three-dimensional.
- Students must be in grades 9, 10, 11 or 12 at time of entry.
- Only ONE artwork is permitted per a student unless they are submitting a full portfolio of 10 images to apply for a Full One Year Scholarship (which is only open to 11th and 12th graders).
- Each school can submit work by as many as 15 students.
- Artworks must not have been previously shown at MCC Art Gallery in other contests or exhibitions.
(2) Full Academic Year scholarships to the MCC Art Department for 11th and 12th graders only.
(2) Half Academic Year scholarships to the MCC Art Department for 11th and 12th graders only.
(5) 2 Course scholarships to the MCC Art Department for 11th and 12th graders only.
(10) 1 Course scholarships to the MCC Art Department for 11th and 12th graders only.
Deadline to Submit: Friday, May 20, 2022 @ 11:59pm on the online Submittable Platform: https://mccartgallery.submittable.com/submit
Drop off dates for accepted works: June 13 & 14, 9am-5pm at MCC Art Gallery, 1833 West Southern Ave, Building AG-31, Mesa, AZ, 85202.
Opening Receptions and Award Night: Thursday, June 23, 6-8pm at MCC Art Gallery.
Pick up dates for accepted works: August 8 & 9, 9am-5pm at MCC Art Gallery.
Dazzle us with your artwork images:
When you upload your artwork images, please be mindful that your images' quality and clarity is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.
- It is optional to upload more than one view of your work. For example, if it is 3D and you want to show the front and the back. Another example would be to upload a close-up of the details in your painting and then another image of a full artwork view.
- Our platform will accept the following file types: jpg, png, gif, files should be under 8MB.
- For additional help photographing your work, we have easy tutorials on our youtube page.
- How to Photograph 2D Art with your Smartphone
- How to Photograph 3D Art with your Smartphone
Tell us about your work:
It is optional to write about your work, but it's encouraged!
- Write in first person.
- Use engaging and specific language.
- Keep it short and sweet.
Here are some helpful questions to help get you started.
- How did you make the work?
- Why did you use certain materials?
- What techniques did you use?
- Is there a connection between your process and the artwork’s message?
- Why is it important to you?
- What connection do you have to your art?
- What motivates you?
- What inspires you?
- How do you interpret the meaning of your work? (Be careful not to direct viewers what to think and feel, focus on your understanding because everyone looks at art differently.)
This portal is for MCC Art Department Faculty & Staff to submit their images and information for the 2022 MCC Biennial Faculty & Staff Art Show.
If you are not currently a member of the MCC Art Department Faculty & Staff, please do not submit to this call for work.
About the show:
Every other year Mesa Community College hosts a Biennial Faculty and Staff Art Show! It is a wonderful opportunity to see the incredible talent of our esteemed faculty in drawing, painting, ceramics, design, computer graphics, photography and more!
Whether you are already enrolled in the program or thinking of taking your first art class, the MCC Biennial Faculty and Staff Art Show is a great opportunity to see the work of instructors that you may want to study with now or in the future.
The wide variety of talent on display in the Biennial Faculty and Staff Art Show showcases the diversity of interests, mediums and themes that make MCC a place that has something for everyone.
How it works:
You can submit up to three artworks in any medium, but only one will be chosen for the exhibition. It is ok to submit just one if you know which artwork you want to exhibit.
You will need to upload your artwork(s) to submittable.
Try to choose a work that is generally representative of your art practice, the kind of coursework that you teach or which is simply an inspired contribution to the exhibition!
Our goal is to have work by every member of the faculty and staff represented in the exhibition!
- This exhibition is for Faculty and Staff who currently work in the MCC Art Department.
- You must submit at least one artwork in any medium.
- You can submit more than one artwork if you would like the curators to give you feedback on what to include. Please submit work by July 28th, which is one full week before drop off, if you want feedback from the gallery curator.
- Work should not exceed 60 inches wide and 60 inches tall, unless reviewed and approved by the exhibition curator.
- Artwork must be finished and ready to exhibit. If it has special hardware for installation, please provide it at the same time that you come to drop off the work.
- All 2D artists are expected present the work in a format that is exhibition ready, which may include framing, matting and have the work "ready-to-hang" at the time that it is dropped off for the exhibition.
- Pedestals will be provided for 3D work but they do not exceed 24 by 48 inches and all of the pedestals they only come in heights that are 30 and 36 inches tall. If the work requires a bigger pedestal, a lower sitting pedestal or a form of support support that is beyond what 24 by 48 inches can reasonably accommodate, then the artist will have to construct, procure and deliver a pedestal to the gallery with their work.
- Digital artworks must be formatted in both mp4 and mov files and delivered to the gallery on a thumb drive.
- For work in ceramics, drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, textiles, 2D & 3D, please submit high-resolution jpeg images that you will upload to this website.
- For digital work (web, animation, video, sound) Please use the following acceptable file types to upload your work directly to submittable for review: mp4, mov.
Dates to remember:
Drop off dates and times: Thursday August 4 from 9am-5pm & Monday August 8th from 9am - 5pm.
Opening reception: Thursday, August 25, 6-8pm
Exhibition runs: August 15 - September 23
Pick up dates and times: Friday, September 23 from 9am-5pm.
Thank you for your participation in the 2022 Biennial for MCC Art Department Faculty & Staff!
We look forward to exhibiting your work for our students, fellow faculty and visitors to the gallery to be inspired by!
The MCC Art Gallery Team